There are three secret family recipes my mom told me to never to share on my blog.
1. Her meatball recipe. I don’t even know her meatball recipe.
2. Crostini (Its this amazing cheesy spread with green onion and bacon you melt over toasted baguette slices YUM)
3. And….Jam Meltaway Thumbprint Cookies.
We’ve been making these for the Holidays for as long as I can remember. Our family friends do this thing every Christmas where we all swap cookie plates of our favorite homemade cookies. Everyone is always dying waiting for these to come around.
These butter cookies are deliciously soft and delicate; little yummy pillows of sugary goodness topped with a sweet taste of tart strawberry jam.
And as if these couldn’t get any better….they’re also probably the easiest cookies I’ve ever made. They’re so simple; just creamed butter and sugar with some egg and flour. Roll and top with jam and done!
Just be careful. These are addicting. One is never enough. Neither is two… or three..
Jelly Filled Meltaways
– 2 sticks of butter
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1 egg yolk
– 2 cups presifted unbleached flour
-preserves of your choice ( I like strawberry or apricot)
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees
2. Cream butter. Add sugar and beat until fluffy.
3. Add egg yolk and flour. Mix well.
4. Form dough into small balls. Indent center of cookie and fill with preserves Bake for 10-12 minutes.
5. Cool 5 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar
Adapted from Noteworthy